A happy & four & 1/2-some

A happy & four & 1/2-some
Michael, Karen (Sevan) & us

Saturday, June 20, 2009

"This move makes me crazy!"


Moving internationally is full of pit-falls. When we accepted the position in Canberra, Australia, we never realized all it would entail. Moving is for the birds. (Speaking of birds, the birds here in Oz are unbelievable. But that's another story.) Back to the move.

A move is like having a child, miserable when you're going thru it, but soon forgotten when the fruits of your labors occupy your time. But least we forget, we want to acknowledge all our friends who helped us with a vast assortment of tasks, everything from throwing together a wedding to storing Nick's Harley...true friends who showed their true colors. We hope we can repay the debt.

I arrived in Australia in April. Nick followed about a month later. The initial reason for his delay was his class at the University. But it certainly helped to have him there, in San Diego, to tie up the multiple loose ends. He also got a chance to see the kids and more of his family and friends. (I was indeed jealous.)

It's been a real adjustment for me. First of all, it's winter, again. I love warmth and sunshine, and I get less and less of it everyday. Then I found out I lost about 10 grand a year in pay, I work harder than ever (even more than expected) and everything here is about triple the price of something similar in the states. Those of you who know me well, know that that must indeed be a BIG adjustment! --But the outdoor beauty of this place reminds me that I am indeed lucky to be here. I love the walk to the Embassy, and our bike rides on weekends and around the lake are breathtaking.

Nick on the other hand, hit the ground running. He loves this place called Oz and hardly makes a complaint (except to get employment- which is his next goal.) In a matter of days, he had scoped out all the bakeries, the best pie shops, the best candy, and got us hooked up with the proper channels to watch Rugby, and AFL (Australian Rules Footie)- our favorite! We've been to several live games, and I can tell you that between the fast pace and athleticism of the players, and the crazyness of the fans, you will never be bored. Nick credits my interest to the tight fitting uniforms. -Not true! They are cute, however.

The people in our ward extended themselves to help us with rides and dinners and bicycle pump-loans right from the beginning. We've found the ward to be quirky, down to the earth, and full of interesting, lively people. Nothing boring for us. Nick had been here only 2 weeks when an investigator we'd introduced ourselves to, asked him to baptize and confirm her! Afterward, I heard someone whisper, "He doesn't waste time, does he?!"

The weeks have flown by and I'm thinking the next three years will do the same.

3 comments:

  1. Wow. Who's the future convert? I want to hear that story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. grreat blog, love you both...we'll see Nat this Wed. take care.
    our blog is :
    scottandrachellesnowblog.blogspot.com

    see ya.

    scott

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will Wu wanted you guys to know that he loves the blog but that for some reason he couldn't leave a comment. He isn't a blogger (he uses WordPad or something like that. I think to potentially fix it, Dad, go to "Settings" then "Comments" and try a "pop-out window." That might help. You also might want to go to the bottom of that page at the "comment notification email" and insert your and mom's email so you can automatically see when people comment on your posts.

    ReplyDelete