A happy & four & 1/2-some

A happy & four & 1/2-some
Michael, Karen (Sevan) & us

Sunday, October 11, 2009

After you read this blog, you will probably wish you were here!

After you read this blog, you will probably wish you were here!

Nick, unemployed as he is, has taken up a serious study and practice of various cooking techniques. The past several weeks he has explored and tantalized us with his repertoire of gourmet foods.

Last weekend it was several courses of Middle Eastern food. Everything was homemade, of course. The appetizers consisted of hummus, tapinaide, coffee eggs with a cumin salt mixture, brie and crackers. (There was an attempt at homemade pita bread which has been better.) The main course consisted of various marinaded lamb and chicken pieces, Pavlov (Asian rice with currents and pistachios), Moroccan carrots (marinated in a pepper sauce), a delicious cauliflower and fennel dish, homemade bread and Greek salad. I did feel that we were eating at one of the best restaurants in town (and much cheaper, of course).

Week before was a Mexican theme, to include homemade tortillas (yummy! -never buy them if you can get Nick to cook them for you), rice, marinated flank steak and chicken, chorizo, tofu chili (not bad at all, in fact excellent), fresh salsa and guacamole, refried black beans made with lard, and homemade bread.

A while ago, Nick stated that he had the desire to learn to bake. He promptly baked wonderful breads, along with sweet rolls, bear claws, brownies, cookies, tortillas and pita breads. A few "wrinkles" needed to be worked out, but perfection is not far away.

We have been seriously considering him setting up a "dirty-water-dog" stand in the Embassy area where there is a real lack of places to eat. (The little Mexican food trucks gave us the idea!) --Unfortunate, confounded Aussie restrictions!

You may be wondering what I've been doing. I have been perfecting my ability to recover from physical challenges. We have just had two holiday weekends in a row (Aussie and US Holiday) and I spent them both challenged by my body.

-First I pulled my back out at church saving an innocent female toddler from an vicious male toddler; I had to be carried out with Nick and Nat on each arm. I didn't move for days.

I got cocky, due to my quick recovery, and the next weekend, I went roller blading around the lake. I was just 10 minutes out, going full stream, feeling so good, when I saw some problematic "P"s: pebbles and people. Just after that thought, I instantly hit a "P", learched forward mid-air for 5-7 feet and found myself flat on the cement just in front of several "P", spectators. A kindly Middle Eastern man, half my size struggled to assist me in getting up. (I was twice his height.) After several minutes rest, I assessed the damage. Only a scraped palm, I thought, and I continued on. About half way around the lake, I could feel my knee and other hand stiffen and swell. -Getting back wasn't as easy as I thought. I stumbled back to our apartment, in pain.

The next two days, I practiced the art of self-remedy: ice, hot baths, salves and bandages. My knee was scraped and puffy, the palm scraped, and most worrisome, the left wrist was swollen and red. It took Nick and friends both those days to convince me to go to the doctor and have it checked out. After 6 hours of excruciating waiting in an overcrowded waiting room, we found out it was only sprained, scraped and bruised like I thought. But Nick can now sleep easy.

So what am I doing this weekend, you might ask? Same DARN thing. Sitting and lying around trying to recover. This time it was the flu. -Haven't had it for 15 years and it's truely miserable. I think I'd rather take falling off the rollerblades....

As far as roller blading: I have determined not to let it stop me. I will be out around the lake again, soon as I can stop all this recovering. But maybe I'll look for that safely gear first.

No comments:

Post a Comment